Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

[DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check Empty
PostSubject: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 am

I have been speaking to Darren about an interview.

He runs a site: vgrevolution.com

He sent me a list of questions, here are my answers:

1. What exactly is Star Wars: BattleCry?

Star Wars: BattleCry is a free standalone game being developed with the CryEngine 3 SDK. We like to think of it as the 'spiritual successor' to Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

We want to incorporate the core gameplay elements of the Battlefront series but fix any shortcomings the original games had. Any features added to the game will be natural progressions fans would expect to find in a new Battlefront game: after all, we don't want the game to become another generic shooter.

2. How many are there working on this project? Why did you guys want to take it on?

Our entire team consists of just over 20 people, but our 'core' team is made up of roughly half that number (core members are those who have spent a considerable amount of time making progress on the game).

Most members got involved because they wanted a challenging but rewarding experience. One of the great things about our team is that we are constantly bettering ourselves and are eager to learn new things. The amount of support we get from our fans really spurs us on and motivates us to create the best game possible.

The main reason we took this on is because we're all such big Star Wars fans, desperate to see a new Battlefront game!

3. What improvements have been made? Any new features?

The great thing about CryEngine 3 is that it allows us to have amazing graphics, diverse gameplay and advanced physics.

At the moment we are focusing on the main functions of the game, e.g. the Conquest game mode.

Other features we're testing include space-to-ground levels (bearing in mind that there may be some performance issues), player customisations (i.e. custom weapon load-outs) and possibly even player perks.

Moving onto improvements, we all know that the biggest problems with the Battlefront games were the inconsistent AI and lack of balance.

We aim to fix the balance issues by thoroughly testing the game and ensuring weapons aren't over powered, certain vehicles aren't too tough and things like unlocking bonus classes aren't too easy.

AI is a whole different ball game, but, in the long run, we want to ensure bots use cover effectively, navigate corridors without getting stuck and pilot vehicles properly (anyone remember the space hangar bug where the pilot would crash into the walls?). Either way, we certainly don't want our bots to be staring at the floor for 5 minutes while a huge war wages on in the background!

4. Are there any major issues you have come across with getting this made?

Being a non-profit organisation, we will have to rely on our fans a lot to help us make this game successful after launch, i.e. by hosting dedicated servers.

Copyright is something many people are concerned about, but having to abide by the laws isn't too big of a deal. We just have to be careful that we don't reference character names or force powers in the game.

One thing that could pose a problem is the fact that players have to log in with a CryDev account whenever they want to play the game (this requires an internet connection). Hopefully, we can negotiate with Crytek to try and get the log in screen lifted for the release.

5. This seems like something the Star Wars fans have been dying for, do you think you are doing it justice?

At the moment, very much so. We have a dedicated team of people and have made some very good quality assets. We have almost all areas covered by very talented people - sound design, 2D art, textures, 3D modelling, etc. are all coming along nicely.

We are all aware how quickly time goes by, so we need to make sure the team is well organised.

6. Let's say you weren't making it, what sort of things would you expect LucasArts (RIP) to put in a Battlefront game in 2013, and do you think you could offer some of these things that usually take a full-blown studio?

We can offer all the main features the main devs would be able to like up-to-date visuals, balanced classes, more emphasis on teamwork in multiplayer and dynamic gameplay but we won't be able to accomplish as much (content wise) or release things as quickly as a professional studio could.

7. Are there any changes in how the game will be set up?

At the moment, we are focusing on the multi-player aspect of the game. Once this is solid, we will focus on single player and the 'Galatic Conquest' game mode at a later date.

8. Will there be more factions then what we found in Battlefront 2, and could they fight each other instead of just Clones versus Droids or Rebels versus Imperials?

We are currently focusing on getting the Galactic Civil War era finished but will start work on the Clone Era as soon as that is sorted.

We may add other eras that weren't in the original Battlefront games, but this is only if we have the time and resources to do so.

9. Will there be more kinds of units, weapons, vehicles and stuff like that?

At the moment, we are focusing most of our attention on the iconic weapons and vehicles.

That said, some of the weapons we are producing aren't as well known and haven't been included in the original Battlefront games. These are being added either because they look better than the original weapons or are more suitable for a particular class. For example, we have chosen the proton rifle as the engineers' primary weapon, mainly because we thought it looked a lot better than the original shotgun.

We haven't looked at additional vehicles yet, but we will probably take a similar approach. If there's a vehicle from the original games we think doesn't fit in well, we'll consider replacing them.

10. Will there be new planets and maps?

We have quite a lot of flexibility with which maps which can make (mostly because there are so many maps to choose from!)

Iconic levels such as The Death Star and Hoth are pretty much essential and we can't really leave them out. At the same time, we also want to have a good range of maps that nobody has experienced before, so the game feels fresh.

Another point worth making is that we won't necessarily be sticking to original layouts for maps like Hoth (which is being worked on as we speak) - the layout in our version is considerably different to the Battlefront 2 version.

At the end of the day, our aim is to have a wide variety of smaller and more focused maps and huge open maps.

Last edited by rocknroll237 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

Q3. As space-ground, customization, player perks and destructible terrain (I didn't know that CE has that) are all not certain I'd move that paragraph to the end of the answer to question 3 and start it like 'Other things we're trying/testing are...'.

Q4. I wouldn't categorize gore and swearing as problems, and they don't have anything to do with the copyright you mention in the sentence before, so I'd just cut that.
I wouldn't emphasize the not being able to make money so much (it's not like we ever wanted to sell the game or use kickstarter). Maybe write something along the lines of 'Being a non-profit organization we will have to rely on our fans a lot to help us make this game successful (after launch), i.e. by hosting dedicated servers.'.

Q6. Up-to-date visuals, balance, capturing the Star Wars feel, more emphasis on teamwork in multiplayer, more dynamic gameplay. We can basically offer all that but not as much or as fast as a professional studio could.

Q7. I'm not sure what he means. Maybe put in that it has more of a focus on multiplayer right now? Or that they can expect more game modes than the predecessors?

Q10. Linear is a bad choice of word, a linear map is never good (in multiplayer). Maybe just 'small and focused'?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Destructible terrain is out for the foreseeable future. I don't know about customization, feels out of place. ground to space combat might be possible. id put that in Q6. (Features)
Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 am

Changes made, please review again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:30 am

6: 'mains devs', typo? And I'd say '...accomplish as much (content wise) or release...'
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:33 am

"Other features we're testing include space-to-ground levels (bearing in mind that there may be some performance issues), player customisations (i.e. custom weapon load-outs) and possibly even player perks. "

Atm we are focusing on the main functions of the game.

"We may add other eras that weren't in the original Battlefront games, but this is only if we have the time and resources to do so."

That would be so cool.

"Iconic planets such as The Death Star and Hoth are pretty much essential and we can't really leave them out. At the same time, we also want to have a good range of maps that nobody has experienced before, so the game feels fresh."

So we make the death star after Hoth? If yes, then we should start it instead of making coruscant maps, and maybe keep my polished/finished palpatine's office for menu background?
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:39 am

I wasn't saying we were going to make the Death Star directly after Hoth, I was just saying it was an iconic map we're going to have to make sometime in the future.
Back to top Go down
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 3:48 am

rocknroll237 wrote:
I wasn't saying we were going to make the Death Star directly after Hoth, I was just saying it was an iconic map we're going to have to make sometime in the future.

Would be cool though.
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 6:35 am

Well i am kinda late for the party and you seem to have fixed all ;d

Will be nice to make any space interior map imo.
Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 am

Interview sent, awaiting reply.
Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check   [DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check Empty

Back to top Go down

[DONE AND NOW LIVE!] Interview - please check
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: BattleCry :: Important news and updates!-
Jump to: