Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some important points regarding the team... Please read!

Go down 
+4
Atombomb
SharkYbg
Schlechtwetterfront
rocknroll237
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

Some important points regarding the team... Please read! Empty
PostSubject: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:54 am

Hi guys,

Having spoken to sceluk (co-leader) on Skype about general organisation of the team, we feel that while some areas of the game are coming along really nicely, there are still some parts of the development that need a lot of work. For example, we have some amazing 3D models, while the mapping is falling behind a bit.

There is a problem where some people leave for months or start working on something and disappear without letting the team know.

There is also a problem with the way we don't know how much progress has been made on certain things (e.g. the progress made on a model).

This is why an online project database like Redmine will be very useful. You can use it as a wiki, a progress tracker and a bug tracker.

If we want to meet our alpha deadline this year, we need to have more 'full-time' members who are willing to put a good number of hours into working on stuff.

Being students, both sceluk and I understand many people are very busy with work, but while we accept this and never want to push people to do things, having people on the team who are willing to spend extra hours making really solid progress makes a huge difference and really motivates the team.

So, this is the general plan of action:

1. We email everyone on the team, linking them to this thread and telling them what's going on and where the team stands at the moment,
2. We setup Redmine (or some other project tracker) and invite the team members to it, DONE
3. We try and recruit 'full-time' members and make that a 'preferred' requirement form now on,
4. We go through the forum and documents on Megacloud and see realistically where we are from our deadline and clean up anything that needs addressing

If we do these things, we will have a better system in place and we'll make better progress as a team.

Here's an example or Redmine properly setup: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic

--------------------------------------------------------------

Disregard text in spoiler below, it's old now.

Spoiler:

Last edited by rocknroll237 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 am

Yes and yes. I think we should take all the publicity we can get.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am

Yes yes yes. I am all for this step. I will be more efficient and professional and will add more organisation.

I think for now that the option with questions an few screenies will be the best since it's a bit early for gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Atombomb
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

With summer approaching I plan on spending more time working on this to prepare myself for my advanced vehicle modeling class this coming Fall. I apologize for the random disappearances due to school, life, and most recently GDC but the latter has certainly given me motivation and inspiration to push myself harder. I have been keeping up with the forums as to not fall behind on where we are at. We've definitely come a long ways and I can't wait to see everything come together even more. Glad to be part of such a talented team.
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:17 am

Basically what rocknroll said.
Had a longer post but my browser ate it.
Project management is extremely important. Redmine is like JIRA, for those who've heard of it.
Its an extremely useful program.
I will soon be freed up for more work in 3 months. Then I have at least a year free (apart from work, but that doesn't waste as much time as study).
Back to top Go down
AndyFTW
void Work();
AndyFTW

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:13 am

Great!
I'm very sorry it is not possible for me to work in the last time.
Going to work and having school at the same time sucks and in the next time are very important tests, especially for me, because I'm pretty bad in these subjects.

In 3 - 4 Weeks it's over and an other project I'm currently working on will be finished. Then I'm 100% back and will continue working on the sliding doors. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Altureus
Lead 3d guns Artist
Altureus

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Hello fellow dev members. Right now all I do is go to work and school every day of the week, but after around 5:00 PM GMT -8 I am able to work and skype with everyone. That makes it kind of hard to discuss development ideas with everyone, because most of the team is in the Europe, but it has worked out pretty well so far.

I've been experimenting with different music ideas with Cameron and Joseph Greve, recently. Also, I've done a few test voice overs for major characters in the Star Wars universe if we ever decide to implement them. I've also been working with Calum on some of the sounds, although he's done faaar more work than I, and it's very impressive. Looking forward to doing some more voice, foley, and music work with everyone.

Furthermore, giving feedback to everyone's work ahhaaaaa Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:58 am

Ive been gathering source files and making a packet so that whom ever is going to integrate the Menu Inteface will have everything they need. Just got four more weeks of college and ill be able to pump out a few more things out. I have this excellent selection of layoutstyles made!
Back to top Go down
tunednoise

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Ey up team!

Currently I work a job 9-5 to pay bills, and alongside the hours I put in to SWBC I also freelance film location recording/post production/sound engineering for music… As well as brew beer and write a book! Free time is a premium, but thankfully these are tasks that are often not recurring. What I am going to do (especially as we lead up to going gold) is dedicate some specific SW time a few times a week to get the sound design and audio implementation done.

I am looking a little into the future here, as we still have a hell of a lot of material to create…. But perhaps if the sound team can schedule a routine hour or two maybe as much as twice a week that's convenient for everyone, we can set a target to be done within that hour or two, and by working in an agile manner plough through one asset at a time. This would be coupled with stuff that takes longer to create i.e we create a piece of sound design/music/whatever, implement it, test it, feedback, tweak it, cry for help at one of the coders and then lock it down when everyone is happy with it.

At the moment, whilst assets are still pulling together we can happily work ad hoc, which is suitable. What we need to do is get to grips with the game design doc and fully realise what sound assets need to be created. We’ve had a good bit of progress with the sound excel sheet that we have already, but most of this was made in speculation. We need to start cataloguing what models/maps have been made that need sound assets attributing to them, and dealing out the workload so that everyone is involved and contributing!

My next step is to start working on weapons sound, and clear some of the VO we have in time for the may 4th update. It is very ambitious, but it would be good to have one of the finalized weapon models animated and the sound designed for it to show off, but I think it would be a good step for showing our progress as a mod.

What I could really do with help with currently, and this applies not just to people on the sound team because it’s a stylistic choice, it to start picking out the Voice Overs that we are happy with – this sounds like a small task but to put it into perspective, we currently have 1400+ samples, that need whittling down to ones that we think suit the game. Then, once we have that, they can all be processed and made to sound like storm troopers/rebels/whatever.

Thats a lot of writing, soz yo!
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 am

I have added some of the required VO's to the GDD. If any of you feel more are needed, drop me a PM, grab me on Skype, or create a separate doc in the folder, which I will then merge into the GDD.

Btw, this applies for everything else. I'd prefer for anyone not to edit the GDD directly, so I can be sure what I put in. (and only I get blamed if its bust Wink)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some important points regarding the team... Please read!   Some important points regarding the team... Please read! Empty

Back to top Go down

Some important points regarding the team... Please read!
Page 1 of 1