Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sceluk
void Work();

Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation Empty
PostSubject: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Ok, guys this is gonna be by far the hardest job.
Free Radical claimed they had done it, and they also said it was unique, and quite hard. So' its possible.
Ideas and constructive discussion here, as this is not a level specific thing, in fact we might have multiple maps that need it.
If need be, and we're still stuck when Q3 2013 comes round (and if the alpha is released), we can add it later.

My ideas will go here.
The most basic was to have the server handle all the offscreen logic, then telling the clients to do the local low-level logic. i.e if I'm up in space, I don't really care that a rocket flew and hit a wall, or piece of debris fell. Then when I go down, the server sends me the last updated positions of the stuff that I didnt see, and the client updates.
Some kind of DB could do the trick, or just store everything in memory, heh.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm

The server is already handling all hit-detection as far as I could see from the code (at least if you look at shipped entities they all have their hit/damage logic in Entity.Server:OnHit and then send important things like death/destroy etc to the client).

Before we start any coding, we should just try it out though and see how it goes. I'm not familiar with CEs AI but I assume we will have to do quite a lot of work for the space AI (if just for standard space battles without ground). After that we can try to merge it together.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 am

I was thinking a bit yesterday, and I thought:
What if we had some kind of occluder area, where it hides the ground or space (depending where you are), and when you enter it, you see the planet\space receding away quickly

Kind of like an intermediate load, but not loading really, just a trick to give the impression you;re going away quite far from the surface
Both ends would be like another cam view, I'd think we'd have to program a special entity...

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Altureus
Lead 3d guns Artist
Altureus

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 am

That could work and it would make sense, because of the atmosphere. I mean look at real life shuttles going into space, I feel like in Star Wars and many other Sci-Fi movies they always skip that part, but in Episode 3 they didn't enter the atmosphere correctly. I've always assumed they had advanced technology that automatically calculated how fast and what angle they needed to enter the atmosphere or escape. Anyway, the idea of having a small loading area could work too. I think seamlessly transitioning between the two would be better, but if we are unable to make that work having a small loading area in the atmosphere would work just as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 am

To explain it a bit more. The 'occluder' would be more like a lens that zooms out the other side, so even though you arelike 500m away it seems like 100,000m. basically a camera trick.
For foggy worlds, we could have a ton of fog, we stop the ship and move the fog around it.

Now as for some science. most battles in space around planets apparently seem to happen in LEO (low earth orbit). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

That's between 160km to 2,000 km.
From the films (esp the opening battle in the 3rd), Coruscant was very close. Endor was a bit farther, maybe twice
The ISS is LEO at 400km, and the picture shown of Earth seems similar to what the ships in the 3rd saw of Coruscant.
I'd put Endor at a 1,000 km, most and maybe the Death Star was 10,000 km.
Back to top Go down
Altureus
Lead 3d guns Artist
Altureus

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 am

Sounds good, but what about when ships are batling it out and thy get really close to that occluder area? If a ship reaches that specific height is the ship just gonna get sucked up into the occluder area, or will there be tolerances. Like if you and another ship are very close to the occluder area and you're both dogfighting, neither of you will get sucked up into the occluder area , you both just fight it out until one of you dies, and then you can decide to either go out into LEO or stay land to air.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation   Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation Empty

Back to top Go down

Ground to Space Seamless Combat Implementation
Page 1 of 1