Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Go down 
+3
Deforges
Lephenix
rocknroll237
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

[ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Empty
PostSubject: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 am

UPDATED: 20th April 2013

Is the game free?

-Yes, it will be a completely free, standalone game that runs on CryEngine 3.

Why not use Unreal or Unity?

-CryEngine is the coolest, it also happens to be the engine we have the most experience with.

Do I need anything else to play it?

-No you will not.

Isn’t this against copyright? Can’t they shut you down?

-We are not making any profit off this whatsoever. It is a fan project. Like always, copyright holders have the right to shut us down if they want. This may happen, but we are not too worried.

What engine does it use?

-It is being built on the free CryEngine 3 SDK (not the Crysis 2 mod SDK).

When is it coming out?

-It will be released whenever we're ready.

When is the alpha coming out?

-Hopefully Q4 2013, but no promises.

Will this game be on consoles?

-No, we cannot port the game over to consoles at this time.

You didn’t release an update by the end of the month, why are you slacking?

-Making high quality assets takes time and energy. We have lives, jobs, and families that come first.

What are the minimum specs?

-We'd estimate that these are the mimumum specs:

Operating system:
Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), or Windows 7
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Memory:
2 GB (3 GB for Vista)
Hard drive space:
9 GB of free space
Graphics hardware:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB or ATi Radeon HD 3850 512 MB (DirectX 11 Compatible GPU for the DX11 Texture Pack)
Sound hardware:
DirectX 9.0c
Network:
Internet connection for multiplayer and one-time authorization for first run (Crydev login currently required for playing the game, we will try and get this lifted)

-We assume a high-end PC from around 2009 will be able to run it smoothly on high settings. To ensure players with low-spec machines can run the game at a playable framerate (around 30fps); we will try and optimise the game as much as possible and may even include an ultra-low setting.

-It is worth noting, however, that as we don't have access to the complete source of the engine, some optimizations needed to make special features (like space-to-ground battles) playable might not be doable for us. We hope that this will not be an issue, however.

Will there be a single-player campaign?

-Yes, if the mod is popular enough. If not, we may consider just adding a Galactic Conquest mode, as this will be easier to implement. If we don't have enough free time or the player base isn't big enough to make single-player or Galactic Conquest worth-while, the game will be multi-player only (with AI bots).

Will there be a 1st/3rd person view option?

-Yes, there will be an option to switch between 1st and 3rd person views.

Will the game feature a customizable class like Elite and Renegade had, or will it be feature Battlefront 2's class archetypes?

-We are looking into customizable classes and what we should make customisable. There is a strong possibility that there will be a fair amount of customisation, but there won't be anything over-the-top (like Borderlands) as we don't want to alienate Battlefront fans who aren't used to these things.

Will you be tweaking the aesthetics of play at all, or are you going to try to make it feel as much like the original game as possible?

-We are trying to make it feel like the original but with obvious improvements (bug fixes, better AI, etc) and much better graphics. Gameplay will be slightly different and there will be some more advanced features that weren't included in the original games (things like minor customisations, helping fallen comrades, additional weapons/equipment, etc.) but rest assured, there will be no bloody screens!

Will there be space to ground missions?

-Hopefully we will be able to include them, but we might not be able to include them for several reasons.

Will spacecraft be able to return to ground battles?

-Hopefully. SharkYbg has already been looking into this but we can't promise that the gameplay will work. One thing which might be fun if full space-ground doesn't work is having one team in a base in space (e.g. Empire on Hoth) and the other team with a base on the ground.

-That would focus the gameplay a lot more. If we had a space battle and a land battle between both sides going on at the same time then there would essentially be 2 separate battles going on. This could get hectic and confusing. However, with only one ship/base in space you'd have the ground-people fighting 'up' to the ship and the space-people fighting 'down' towards the ground. This might be easier to implement.

-Please note: there will definitely be ground maps with usable aircraft.

What is the estimated amount of AI that can be included alongside players in a battle?

-Probably a maximum of 32 players either side, but this will depend on how the engine copes with the high demand. Hopefully, there will be servers with less AI units for those who have low-end PCs.

Will hero units be returning, and if so, will they allow for multiple heroes in the same battle? If someone doesn't take a hero, will an AI version spawn? Can someone still choose to take over the role of hero?

-Heroes and villains will be included but we haven't decided yet in which way they will play a role in multiplayer matches... It may work out that players who happen to reach a certain amount of points will be offered the chance of playing as a hero. If someone declines, the next person to reach the point limit (or the next person in the queue) will get the offer. There will probably only be 1 hero/villain per side at a time to make things less hectic and unbalanced.

Will heroes like Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, and Assaj Ventress finally get to have their turn?

-The iconic characters are a priority but we may choose to make other minor characters. Characters that aren't from the 2 main eras (Clones/CIS and Rebels/Imperials) will be harder to implement, but we may try and include them if we get round to creating the other eras.

Will you get to fight inside capital ships?

-We know that in Battlefront 2 the capital ships didn't feel as if they were some capital ships but more smaller frigates used for support. Making the real sized ships (like the gigantic Star Destroyer) will take a lot of time and effort to make since we are doing this in our free time (which is somewhat limited). Adding the full interiors will take even more time but there is a small possibility we may try it. It all comes down to how much you guys (the players) want it!

What locals will we be seeing return besides Hoth (also, what are the chances of the map being made more like a battleground and less like a valley with two military bases, one on each side)?

-Indigenous creatures for now are definitely secondary to our goals. We are currently working towards a multiplayer client with two primary bases on a few maps. This will generate interest and a larger community to give us a better idea of what to develop next. We definitely want to create a dynamic nonlinear battleground and we can do this through map design and game modes.

Will "insert map name here" be included?

-One of the great things about not working for profit is the amount of quality we can put into a game on our own schedule. Obviously there are a lot of different maps we can include but each map takes a lot of effort and thought to complete. We most likely will include major iconic maps first and then add other maps later.

What kind of people are on your team?

-We have experienced young people who were inspired by the Star Wars universe. A majority of the team is made up of college students.

I really like your work! Can I donate?

-Thank you! But as of now, no you cannot. We are looking into this.

You guys should start a kickstarter!

-The only way we can stay within our legal limits is by not making any profit or money that could be seen as desirable by the copyright holder. Sorry.

I want to help make this game, how do I do that?

-We love new faces. unfortunately, this project is not just for fun, it’s for a high quality successor to one of the most iconic games in the Star Wars Universe. If you are experienced and have examples of work to show dealing with 3d/mapping/2d/animation shoot us an email. We’d love to hear from you.

I’m still learning the basics in game & asset creation. Is there anything I can do to contribute?

-This game is built on cryengine. The beauty of that means you’ll be able to mod our game just as any other cryengine game. Put your creation or mod up on moddb and see what people have to say.

I want to help out, where can I apply to be part of the team?

-You can either make a post on this forum or visit these sites:

Moddb recruitment thread: http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/star-wars-battlecry
Crydev recruitment thread: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=316&t=90075

What is the best way I can help you guys out as a fan?

-Spread the word about us! Like our facebook, watch us on moddb, and follow us on twitter. It’s stereotypical, but those three small things generate a lot of attention towards us which is good. The more people know about this project, the better the people we can get to work on it.

Where I can I find more information about the game?

-You can find a lot of info on this forum or you can visit these sites:

Moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsBattlecry
Twitter page: http://twitter.com/SWBattleCry

Last edited by rocknroll237 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:48 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 am

Haha we aren't a big studio, we are mostly students, we can't do all those things in no time, it would take years!
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 am

Yeah, I know, that's why I need you guys to say what's possible and what's not. Very Happy

We haven't really spoken about Heroes and Villians... I will make a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Deforges
Hey, GUNS!
Hey, GUNS!
Deforges

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 am

will "map" be included?

One of the great things about not working for profit is the amount of quality we can put into a game on our own schedule. Obviously there are a lot of different maps we can include but each map takes a lot of effort and thought to complete. We most likely will include major iconic maps first and then add other maps later.

What locals will we be seeing return besides Hoth (also, what are the chances of the map being made more like a battleground and less like a valley with two military bases, one on each side)?

Indigenous creatures for now are definitely secondary to our goals. We are currently working towards a multiplayer client with two primary bases on a few maps. This will generate interest and a larger community to give us a better idea of what to develop next. We definitely want to create a dynamic nonlinear battleground and we can do this through map design and game modes.

Last edited by Deforges on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 am

Here's what i think on some questions

Perhaps fight inside a Droid Control Ship?A full interior of a capital ship (maybe the Invisible Hand)?

We know that in the original battlefront 2 game the capital ships didn't feel that they are some capital ships but some frigates used for support. As long as we want all to be staying true to the movies making the real sized ship will take a lot of time and effort to make since we wall do this in our free time which is limited. Adding the full interior will take even more time but this won't stop us from trying. It depends on how much you guys want it because your support gives us strengths.

Various areas of Coruscant that -aren't- the Jedi Temple? A Bespin level that lets us fly around?

As Deforges stated above if we get enough interest in these types of city environment we will know to take it or not.But most likely we will include first the iconic maps. Also a level including the Bespin like in Battlefront 3 with flyable aircrafts is not impossible since the power of CryEngine 3 is not limited at all in these directions.
Back to top Go down
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 am

Cryengine 3 is a very powerful engine and I will be surprised if it has any trouble coping with our demands. I personally, for one, want to see a true sequel come out of this game to Battlefront 2 with improved aspects in every area but as Lephenix said we are only students and can only do so much, but we can constantly provide updates to make all our ideas a reality at some point
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/members/starkiller2356
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:23 am

Will there be a single-player campaign?

Yes, if the mod is popular enough. If not, it will be multi-player only (obviously with AI).

Will the game feature a customizable class like Elite and Renegade had, or will it be like Battlefront 2 with specific class archetypes?

We are looking into customizable classes and what we should make customisable. There is a strong possibility there will be a fair amount of customisation, but nothing over the top as our game will be too different compared to the original.

Will you be tweaking the aesthetics of play at all, or are you going to try to make it feel as much like the original game as possible?

We are trying to make it feel like the original but with obvious improvements (bug fixes, better AI, etc) and much better graphics. Gameplay will be slightly different (things like minor customisations and additional weapons/equipment), but you can be assured there will be no bloody screens! Very Happy
Also, it is not a remake of the swbf2 with HD graphics, it is even more than that.

Will aircraft finally return to ground battles?

Yes, SharkYbg has already been looking into this.

What is the estimated amount of AI that can be included alongside players in a battle?

Probably a maximum of 32-46 players either side, but this will depend on how the engine copes with the high demand. Hopefully, there will be servers with less AI units for those who have low-end PCs.

Will hero units be returning, and if so, will they allow for multiple heroes in the same battle (also, if someone doesn't take a hero, will an AI version spawn? Can someone still choose to take over the role of hero?

Heroes and villains will be included and we haven't decided if they will be computer controlled at times. Players that reach a certain amount of points will be offered the chance of playing as a hero. If someone declines, the next person to reach the point limit will get the offer. There will probably only be 1 hero/villain per side at a time to make things less hectic and unbalanced.

And will heroes like Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, and Assaj Ventress finally get to have their turn?

The iconic characters are a priority but we may choose to make other minor characters.

Like Deforges replied, we are focusing on the multiplayer classes. But i think it is possible to have tauntauns, wampas, droids...

Will we finally see a return to Rhen Var? Perhaps fight inside a Droid Control Ship? Raxus Prime? The Unfinished Death Star - particularly the firing chamber that seemed ready made, at least on the Wii, for a level in Battlefront? Various areas of Coruscant that -aren't- the Jedi Temple? A Bespin level that lets us fly around? A full interior of a capital ship (maybe the Invisible Hand)? KotOR settings like Taris (in ruin or un-destroyed form)? A Tatooine level set in the Dune Sea?

Haha we aren't a big studio, we are mostly students, we can't do all those things in no time, it would take years!

Here are some other I came up with that weren't asked but are very important:
[i]
Is the game free?

I don't know.

I don't know.

Will I need to purchase Crysis 2 to get it?

No it is a stand-alone, it will not require Crysis 2.

Where I can I find more information about the game?

On the MODDB page located here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-battlecry
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 6:40 am

I've updated my original post now.

I'm happy with the FAQ, but if you see anything that could be changed, please speak up!

Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 am

I wouldn't make the space-ground as a given, its a lot harder than it sounds\looks and it might take some serious coding.
better to say: We're looking into it, but nothing sure for now.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 am

Yes!
It's not certain it will work out in terms of gameplay either.

One thing which might do if full space-ground doesn't work is like one team has it's base in space (Example: Empire on Hoth) and the other team has their base on the ground.
That would focus the gameplay a bit more because if we had ships for both sides in space then there would essentially be 2 separate battles. One on the ground, one in space. With only one ship/base in space you'd have the ground-people fighting 'up' to the ship and the space-people down to the ground.

Just edited some of the answers to some questions, might have to be phrased a bit better:

We don’t know at this early stage, but we assume a high-end PC from around 2009 will be able to run it smoothly on high settings. To ensure players with low-spec machines can run the game at a playable framerate (around 30fps); we will try and optimise the game as much as possible BUT only hobby team so not high priority. As we don't have access to the complete source of the engine some optimizations needed to make special features (like space-ground) playable even with higher amounts of players might not be doable for us. We hope that this will not be an issue and will definitely try to implement those features.

Will spacecraft be able to return to ground battles?

There will definitely be ground maps with usable flyers.

Will hero units be returning, and if so, will they allow for multiple heroes in the same battle (also, if someone doesn't take a hero, will an AI version spawn? Can someone still choose to take over the role of hero?

Heroes and villains will be included but we haven't decided yet in which way they will play a role in multiplayer matches.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 am

Okay, thanks Ande, I will make these adjustments.
Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 am

I have updated the FAQ (31-12-12).
Back to top Go down
Deforges
Hey, GUNS!
Hey, GUNS!
Deforges

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:17 pm

F.A.Q 4/15/13

Will this game be free?
- Yes.

Do I need anything else to play it?
- No.

Isn’t this against copyright? Can’t they shut you down?
- We are not making any profit off this whatsoever. It is a fan project. Like always, copyright holders have the right to shut us down if they want. This may happen. We are not too worried.

When is it coming out?
-We don’t know.

When is the alpha coming out?
- We don’t know.

Will this game be on consoles?
- No.

Are you guys busy? Do you actually work on this stuff?
- Yes.

You didn’t release an update by the end of the month, why are you slacking?
- making high quality assets takes time and energy. We have lives, jobs, and families that come first.

What engine is this game made on?
- Cryengine

Why not Unreal or Unity?
- Cryengine is the coolest, it also happens to be the engine we have the most experience with.

What are the system requirements?
-
Operating system
Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), or Windows 7
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Memory
2 GB (3 GB for Vista)
Hard drive space
9 GB of free space
Graphics hardware
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB or ATi Radeon HD 3850 512 MB (DirectX 11 Compatible GPU for the DX11 Texture Pack)
Sound hardware
DirectX 9.0c
Network
Internet connection for multiplayer and one-time authorization for first run

I really like your work! Can I donate?
- Thank you! But as of now, no you cannot.

You guys should start a kickstarter!
- The only way we can stay within our legal limits is by not making any profit or money that could be seen as desirable by the copyright holder. Sorry.

Will this game have the Clone era?
- Maybe, if there is interest after release.

Will the game have heroes?
- Yes, eventually!

Can you add hero X, Y, and Z? They’re my favorite!!!
- Maybe in the future. We have a set design schedule.

What kind of people are on your team?
- We have experienced young people who were inspired by the Star Wars universe. A majority of the team is up of college students.

I want to help make this game, how do I do that?
- We love new faces. unfortunately, this project is not just for fun, it’s for a high quality successor to one of the most iconic games in the Star Wars Universe. If you are experienced and have examples of work to show dealing with 3d/mapping/2d/animation shoot us an email. We’d love to hear from you.

I’m still learning the basics in game & asset creation. Is there anything I can do to contribute?
- This game is built on cryengine. The beauty of that means you’ll be able to mod our game just as any other cryengine game. Put your creation or mod up on moddb and see what people have to say.

What is the best way I can help you guys out as a fan?
- Spread the word about us! Like our facebook, watch us on moddb, and follow us on twitter. It’s stereotypical, but those three small things generate a lot of attention towards us which is good. The more people know about this project, the better the people we can get to work on it.

Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:33 am

Updates made to the F.A.Q.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!   [ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Empty

Back to top Go down

[ONGOING] FAQ! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!
Page 1 of 1