Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What kinda props do you need done?

Go down 
+3
Lephenix
sceluk
Schlechtwetterfront
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm

What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 R42819

2819 tris

Just learned to bake in Maya, so i can add details later and bake em on.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Coming among nicely!
If you can, bake some details. It,makes the texturers job way easier.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Just a quick q, i cant animate (so sorry guys), so should i keep the legs, feet, head and body seperate meshes for the animator to work with?
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, keep them separate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Allright, then i shall keep em seperated.... (plays the Offspring Song on air guitar)

And heres a test bake of a the body
What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 TestBake
Back to top Go down
Atombomb
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Don't forget to do smoothing groups before you bake. Not sure if those flat faces are from the bake or the low poly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Its just the lowpoly, trying to keep it under 3000tris, so the body got 24 squares to form the round body.
Back to top Go down
Atombomb
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Smoothing groups don't add polys, it fakes geometry so you get a smoother cylinder. If you don't mind me asking what program are you using?
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm

I think he's using Maya. To see roughly how your model will look in the engine, view it with smooth shading
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 am

Atombomb wrote:
Smoothing groups don't add polys, it fakes geometry so you get a smoother cylinder. If you don't mind me asking what program are you using?

I know smoothing groups dont add pollys, i just answered if it was lowpolly or if it was from the bake.
Basicly, the cyllinder is only 24 pollys around to keep it low enough to allow more detail other places.

And i am Using Maya 2010
Back to top Go down
Atombomb
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 2:12 am

Ah, ok gotcha. Looking cool so far. Excited to see the final product.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 12:40 pm

I forgot to post this when i did it, but around Christmas (the day before i think...thats when i left home to see my pararents) i uploaded a WiP version of the R4 model to DropBox. So the animater/texturizer/People just curious could check it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:28 am

Noticed that the model i uploaded had some issues with the eye?...Hologram display?...coke dispenser?... what ever it is, i fixed it, it works now. And the the thingys on the legs had some realy minor fixes.

its in the R4 file in our DropBox thingy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 am

Was waiting for my guests for my small new years hangout, so i created this to pretend i am productive:

What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 Container_roundpattern_zps4962f8c5

Is it usable for the game?
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 am

Reminds me of the companion cube from Portal 2. Very Happy
With a texture it might be. Wink Why don't you try to do one? The UVs shouldn't be too hard for this. More time to focus on the texture.
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 am

Companion Cube! Texture it with the heart Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 am

hehehehe, i actualy modeled it after one of the crates beeing carried into/out of the Millenum Falcon, one of the blue crates Smile

But can always have a heart "crudley carved" into one of the sides as an little omage Smile
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah, I remember those crates.
I like the idea of the heart Smile Little easter eggs in games are part of the fun.
(or not so little: dead assassin in haystack in Witcher 2 lol)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm

What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 R4BakeBack_zps6c0a7905

What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 R4BakeFront_zps5032a1e4

792 Tris
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 am

Coming along nicely.
There are some shading problems on those two vents or whatever they are in the front view.
Maybe slap some basic colors on it.
Back to top Go down
rocknroll237
Admin
rocknroll237

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 am

Certainly improving Wideboy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlecry
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm

I guess this is without smoothing right?
If not, don't worry too much about tris, even 1.5 k is good. The engine can handle it.
And with textures and normal maps, it'll look a lot better.
Don't forget people, that lower polycounts will make the UV's and therefore the textures stretched.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm

That with the stretching is not true. Lower poly count doesn't mean any stretching in UVs (or textures). But still, don't overdo it with optimization and always think about how the model will bake or if it was a lot easier to UV with a few more polies and things like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:47 am

Not sure whether to post in this one or start my own thread, but I'm new to the team and I do 3D as well. Due to my already pretty packed schedule I'll probably only be able to do smaller props, at least at first. I'm thinking, crates, ammo boxes, small droids, stuff like that. Is there any particular thing that is a priority, or is it free to choose?

Excited to start contributing!
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 5:50 am

I guess you should create a separate thread for each model (or set of related models in your case).
that's what they've done with weapons and characters and its worked well so far.
feel free to choose man.
watch the Hoth scenes in the films and try and create all those stuff lying around and take inspiration Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kinda props do you need done?   What kinda props do you need done? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What kinda props do you need done?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: BattleCry :: Development :: Development discussion :: 3D modelling :: WIP-
Jump to: