Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Class System

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 am

Ah, an airstrike is different from a rocket launcher. That sounds interesting. Maybe 'tag' the vehicle so that fighters can attack it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 am

Yeah you're thinking about the mortar strike in Bad Company 2. I think that would be a good addition for snipers to make them have a more involved role in the battlefield rather than sitting in one spot and waiting for good shots. The mortar strike would probably be a small but medium damaged orbital strike that makes the recon/sniper good against vehicles and team coordination

Or add a designator gun that tags a vehicle, or for the better players, starfighters for a homing missile attack with the rocket launcher instead of a unguided normal shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.moddb.com/members/starkiller2356
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 am

This will not be decided when people post their view of how the classes should be. This needs to be discussed on a serious note over skype starting with the base class system we all agree and evolve from there for every type of classes. Deciding what should anyone have as weapons and etc.
And until we do that...

Quote :
Just a rocket launcher + pistol is too weak against infantry. Unless the rocket launcher is overpowered (like in SWBF). The rocketlauncher should be mainly used against vehicles => ANTI-ARMOR needs something against infantry.

Isn't that the purpose of that class? To be weak against infantry and strong against vehicles. If it's almost equally against close combat to the other classes this will make him the most used class. What will happen is Battlefield 3 where everyone is running as engineer. That's how i think it should be. Take a look at Ravaged. It's like TF2 but more serious .

ANTI-ARMOR
Primary: Rocket Launcher | Ion Gun (| Grenade Launcher)
Secondary: Pistol ( this will be one of the pistols with high damage but slow rate of fire)
Special 1: Ion|EMP grenade (|Deployable Energy Shield)
Special 2: AT-Mine | Remote explosives
Health: 150

*The Ion Gun should be able to disable Mines

*The Rocket launcher will need time to lock on target (You will be able to switch to different weak points). If a target is lased it will be faster to lock and the rocket will go where the lase is put and it will damage only the parts at the lase point.(The disadvantages will be that you can't choose different weak spots but it leaves the job to the laser guy to decide where is the best spot ) And The Rocket Launcher should be one for AA and Anti Land vehicles but with not many rockets in it ( maybe 4)

Last edited by SharkYbg on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:57 am

That could be the ability that highlights a vehicle\person on the battlefield. Since all rockets and missiles in BF2 had lock on ability (and IMO we should keep it).
And I agree with what Sharky said, each class needs to be specialized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:02 am

They do, but they also have to be able to adapt to different maps/situations, and be able to work with their team instead of running off on their own personal killing sprees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 am

Yeah, that's my point really, but if for example the anti tank has an assault rifle as well, he can go off and kill all of the stuff by himself. If he only has a pistol, he needs backup from troopers.
i.e: we're saying the same thing.

And we really need a meeting on Skype.
When are you guys available? Ben, Ande, Rhys (btw I love that guy and the game).
I'm available either at 1.00-2.00 CET (12.00-1.00 GMT, text only cause I'm at work) or after 7.00pm CET (6.00 pm GMT).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:38 am

Yes, of course the Anti-Tank's job is to take down tanks.
But 1: There will be a lot more Infantry than vehicles on the battlefield.
2: If a player encounters a lot of infantry with a tank here and there he'll not take the Anti-Tank class which has basically no chance against other troopers. In SWBF people only chose the Anti-Tank because his rocket-launcher was one of the best weapons in the game. Against infantry and vehicles.
Look at BF3, BFBC2 or BF2142 (or First Strike), their Anti-tank classes always have a decent gun (SMGs in BF3 and BF2142; I think a semi-aut rifle in First Strike) which is not too bad against infantry, so they actually have a chance to get to the vehicle they want to destroy.
You can't expect random people on a server to form a team of anti-infantry which keep one anti-tank safe and get him to a tank he then can destroy. That might happen in competitive play but rarely on normal servers.
That's why the Anti-Tank should have a decent weapon (carbine) so, you know, people will play that class even when there is no current and serious threat from vehicles.
He'll still have a disadvantage compared to other troopers because he has no secondary anti-infantry weapon and only a short-mid range blaster. The carbine will make it easier to kill 1 guy, but when there are two he most likely is still lost. He's got neither a sidearm to switch to nor the capacity in his carbine to take out multiple enemies.
In BF3 people are playing Engineer a lot because he has really cool and strong weapons (but only close-mid range) but there aren't a lot more Engineers than the other classes, maybe on the CQ maps (which are crap) but not on the normal ones.

Exactly... Very Happy I just don't want another SWBF anti-tank who uses only his rockets against infantry, make it all a bit more blaster-centric. And the pistol (even if it has high damage, think revolver) is too weak, not enough to make the anti-tank be able to even defend himself.

Noon is not a good time for me, so, after 6/7pm? Even if we don't talk via voice we should do a google hangout so one of us can have a spreadsheet open where he puts down decided aspects and everyone can see it without delay.
BTW, Ande is Ben, and I'm Ande. So Schlechtwetterfront is Ben.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 am

We could give him a selection of stronger pistols than typical troops get. Stuff like this, or this

Star Wars doesn't really seem to have anything between 'rifle' and 'pistol' like SMGs, which I think could work well if something can be found.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am

Yes, I was thinking of that, I gave the guy an SMG, but I plan on scouring wookiepedia for all possible weapons.
A heavy blaster sounds like a good 'panic weapon'.
You could say the E-11 (stormy weapon), is an SMG, as its short, with an extendable barrel. (to form a full rifle).

Yeah, I agree the guy needs some backup weapon, but not an assault rifle. If there's more heavys on the battlefield than troopers+other classes, then there's a problem.

Ok, after 7 is ok (or we could do it on the weekend, i'm available all day). I have a Google+ account as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

The CR2 seemed like a decent choice. At the very least it looks SMG-ish, since it's built off one.

Especially great if its lasers can bounce off walls like they did in the TPM game. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 am

CR-2 is a good idea. And we can definitely add the deflection, somehow.
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 am

Hmm, I think we'd need to code a special ammo class in C++ for that particular bolt. Shouldn't be too hard to do however, i think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 am

There's already code for ricocheting bullets. I don't know if it works/is actually executed or if the chance to ricochet is just too low to notice it usually.
Even if it doesn't work it shouldn't be too hard. We just have to check which material the bolt hit in the collision event and then bounce or not bounce. The actual bounce is just a bit of math. Wink
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am

Yep, that it is. just a simple intersection, and reflection. Kind of like raytracing, but muuuuuch simpler. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 am

Alright, a second draft:

TROOPER
Primary: Rifle | Carbine
Secondary: Pistol | Grenade Launcher Attachment
Equipment 1: Thermal Det | EMP Grenade | Smoke | Stun | Concussion Det | Stim Pack
Equipment 2: Thermal Det | EMP Grenade | Smoke | Stun |Concussion Det

- EMP grenades are primarily anti-infantry. (Disrupting player HUDs, deployable items/droids, comms, weapon sights, etc) They can maybe disable speederbikes, but are virtually useless against heavier armor.
- Concussion Dets stick to vehicles and cause more damage than Thermal Dets, but have a much smaller blast.
- Stim Packs boost your damage resistance and movement speed for a short time. Stim Packs can be used on yourself or nearby allies.
- Stun grenades aren't very effective in open terrain, but vey useful in small rooms and narrow hallways.

ANTI-ARMOR
Primary: Rocket Launcher | AA Missile Launcher | Grenade Launcher
Secondary: Heavy Pistol | Ion Gun
Equipment 1: Thermal Det | Concussion Det | EMP Grenade
Equipment 2: AT Mine | EMP Mine

- AT mines can't be triggered by players stepping on them
- AA Launchers have extremely good homing capabilities, but low ammo capacity.
- EMP Mines can knock out larger vehicles, but not things like AT-ATs.
- Ion Gun has similar effect to EMP Grenades

MEDIC
Primary: Carbine
Secondary: Pistol
Equipment 1: Bacta Pack | Bacta Injector | Stim Pack
Equipment 2: Defibrillator | Deployable Energy Shield | Dampener Aerosol

ENGINEER
Primary: Slugthrower | Blaster Cannon | Arc Caster
Secondary: Fusion Cutter
Equipment 1: AP Mine
Equipment 2: Detpack | Sentry Droid |AP Turret

- AP mines are meant for open ground and are triggered when a player gets too close. Can possibly be avoided by crawling?
- Slugthrower rounds can possibly penetrate shielding?

RECON
Primary: Sniper Rifle | Anti-Material Rifle |Scoped Carbine | Disrupter
Equipment 1: Smoke | Stun | Tracking Device | Jamming Device | Motion Detector | Recon Droid
Equipment 2: Macrobinoculars | Recon Visor | Stealth Field

SUPPORT
Primary: Repeater | Minigun | Flamethrower
Equipment 1: Ammo Pack | Thermal Det | Trip Mine
Equipment 2: Deployable Energy Shield | Stim Pack | Dampener Aerosol

And for the hell of it: (possibly a limited/unlockable class?)

BOUNTY HUNTER
Primary: Rifle | Carbine | Disintegrator
Secondary: Heavy Pistol | Wrist Rocket | Wrist Flamethrower | Wrist Laser |Toxic Dart
Equipment 1: Thermal Det | Concussion Det | Detpack | Buzz Droid
Equipment 2: Personal Shield | Stealth Field | Jump Pack |Recon Visor

Last edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

How would you attach a launcher to a gun like the E11? Maybe let the player choose between pistol and launcher?
I don't like mortars, and they would be used against infantry more than vehicles.
IMO the ion gun should be stronger than EMP grenades and occupy a primary slot.
I'd just force-equip the support with a repeater. Both, minigun and flamethrower don't really fit a large scale Star Wars battle.
I'm already experimenting a bit with different ways to implement some of the items. We really need a map to test actual gameplay in...
Back to top Go down
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am

I'm not sure about the E11, but there are grenade launcher attachments for stuff like the A280.

Quote :
Both, minigun and flamethrower don't really fit a large scale Star Wars battle.
Maybe not on a place like Hoth, but something like the Z-6 Cannon could be decent for laying down suppressing fire. You wouldn't hit a damned thing, but you can at least keep the enemy heads down.

Meanwhile a flamethrower could be very useful for clearing out cavernous maps where the heavier repeaters might be too unwieldy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I like the idea of multiple loadouts for each class. Makes each more diverse and more versatile. I also like the general idea of the classes. pretty much what i was thinking.
The unlockable classes are a large part of my ideas.

I will post them a bit later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lime517

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 am

I've logged so many hours into Battlefront. Part of the reason I wanted to join this team, even if I'm on the music side of it:) But here's my thoughts.

I vote against weapon customization because it detracts from the whole Class/Team-concept.

I absolutely love the concept of some basic visual customization. Think helmets and armor color. Think Republic Commando multiplayer customization, or Halo: CE where you could choose different color armor. I think it adds a lot of personality to a character.

As for making the standard soldier/trooper more appealing. I would vote on giving his class, and that class only, a sort of extra powerful grenade. Think the green plasma sort of grenade from Republic Commando... Loved that grenade:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

Welcome to the team! You're a music man? or SFX?

My idea of multiple loadouts was more like ME3's weapon mods system (if you've played it), or Crysis's weapon customization. Attachments, not different weapons.
I agree with what you've said, each class needs to have a role and cannot do everything alone (like in TF2).

I also understand (as other have said) that on public servers, people may not work together, but, from my experience playing TF2, if you 'force' them (for example by making it impossible for a certain class to do everything), they will eventually work together, to a point...Of course, the best organized team will win. We should reward teamplay, not lone wolfing. In a war, soldiers fight together.

IMO, each class should be slightly dependent and independent at the same time.

And I still haven't posted my class stuff, cause I'm writing up the ability descriptions and taking ideas from all of you guys and incorporating them where I had my weak spots.

Keep the creative juice flowing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lime517

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 am

I'm a music man:) This is what I've been working on: https://soundcloud.com/joseph-greve/battlecry-wip

BUT: Back to topic.... Attachments may be a cool idea, but only if they can't variate too much. Think racing games (As weird as that may sound), someone can tweak their car out right to where they want it, but it's still, at heart, the same original car, it hasn't changed all that terribly much. I think that idea of changing certain aspects could be good. Almost like skillpoints that you could apply to certain aspects of a gun or class.

Just my thoughts, though:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah weapon customization is a good thing and is probably my favorite thing in a game - making the weapon my kind of weapon and changing how it performs to my playstyle. Same goes for the customizable armor, but I think that will have to wait until the game moves out of a pre-alpha/alpha type of stage and the classes are actually determined first.

I think that the player should have in game customization to the weapons such as the one in Crysis but it actually has animations and doesn't encourage constant swapping of attachments
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.moddb.com/members/starkiller2356
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 am

Quote :
Think Republic Commando multiplayer customization, or Halo: CE where you could choose different color armor. I think it adds a lot of personality to a character.
I like visual customization in games as much as the next person, but the thing with Star Wars is:
Spoiler:

Uniformity. At some point, the guy running around Geonosis in pink stormtrooper armor and Boba Fett's helmet would just be odd. Razz

Quote :
I vote against weapon customization because it detracts from the whole Class/Team-concept.
But if the classes are static, different situations can negate the usefulness of certain classes. An Anti-Tank player is worthless on a map with no vehicles. A sniper can't function right on a close-quarters map, a guy with a shotgun won't get much done in a wide-open field. By allowing players to select different class-appropriate equipment to match the layout/situations present on a map, you can ensure that every class still has a job to do, without just letting everybody do everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

Loadout customisation doesn't mean the basic play of the class changes. Nor does it detract from class or team concepts. As long as the options don't give the class a completely different role it's fine.
That's one of the reasons why I'd force the medic to have a (team) bacta pack and the support to have an ammo pack.
Visual customisation might be cool but at least right now it's not really feasible for us. We'll already be hard pushed to get enough characters finished.
IMO weapon customization with different scopes, attachments etc doesn't fit star wars at all. All of the weapons from the movies have a special feel and uniqueness and silhouette which would not be that visible anymore with attachments.
And again, while it's not as big a problem for weapons because we have more people who.could potentially model weapons plus attachments, all existing weapons need to be reworked, depending om the type of attachment we might even need special animations.
Whereas just giving the player 2 or 3 weapons to decide between, which ee can reuse for other classes it wouldn't be a lot of extra work.
Slightly different skins for characters might work, but still, I'd push all such visual things which don't directly affect gameplay all the way back to the end of the development.
Back to top Go down
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:54 am

I totally agree with Ande.
Can you image playing with E-11 with iron sight or with under barrel or playing with DC-15 with a scope for better range or different ammo just because laser is not enough?

We need to escape from all these modern shooters with tons of customization. We are trying to stay true to the movies and Battlefront 1 and 2.( I think mainly 1st because it's better) All the good games i remember doesn't have such customization to the weapons. This is insane and player is more focused on what is the best set for his weapons so he can kill more players, than actually try to work in team because his weapon is good in certain situations but in others is bad. The other thing is that we will spend tons of hours deciding how to balance all these attachments and how they should affect the gun and etc. Sure we can add different weapons to one class.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows, the Anti-Tank won't be worthless because we can give him the anti personal mines and just because there isn't any vehicles on a map doesn't mean we can't put turrets. So he won't be useless at all.

Visual customization is another thing. As long as the different choices aren't silly it will be good for everyone to have their personal choice. But still, this is just cosmetic thing and it is not a priority.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Class System   

Back to top Go down

Class System
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: BattleCry :: Development :: Development discussion :: Game mechanics and general tasks-
Jump to: