Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Class System

Go down 
+4
sceluk
rocknroll237
SharkYbg
Schlechtwetterfront
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben2356

Class System - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 am

I think a combination of the Battlefield and the Left 4 Dead would be nice for this game, but like already said, it will really show how well it will work when we playtest it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.moddb.com/members/starkiller2356
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 10:12 am

I think the Battlefield style wouldn't be good because we already have droids that heal and replenish ammo constantly. They do almost the same job as the ammo pack and healing pack in battlefield but they don't disappear and stay at one place.
The ideas i have are:

1)Having some sort of field dressing for most of the classes the recovers just small amount of health and giving the medic first aid like in left 4 dead but limited .
or:

2)or just giving only the medic and option to heal or drop ammo and health pack that the players can pick or something similar.

I think both can work well. Although they need to be tested like Ben said.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 10:42 am

Totally forgot about the droids. I'll try to get a Left 4 Dead thingy working. Should the to-be-healed guy have to stand still or should he be able to move while being healed?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am

I think both have to stand still. But the guys who is being healed still can shoot or crouch.
Unless we come up with a gun like the Medigun from TF2 that heals on the move from far distance Very Happy

PS: Or maybe you should try first with dropping health bars because the game might become too slow paced with the left 4 dead type of healing.
You decide Razz
Back to top Go down
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 pm

I guess we could do the system where there is a field patch for health which gives you a small increase in health but in order to fully heal you will have to find a medical droid.

Also should we have the medical droids be able to move around in a small radius instead of always being stationary?
Back to top Go down
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am

I have been thinking about the health and ammo droids as an alternative to the health and ammo packs but I was thinking that it would just slow down the gameplay. This is because when you are on the frontlines and need ammo you will run all the way to the back and to some base where you have to refill and thus making you have to get back to the front lines.

Overall I think that a complement of health/ammo packs for the infantry (which only do so much regeneration) should be used with the health and ammo droids (full regeneration) so that the gameplay is faster paced.

I was thinking for the testing we should try out the Battlefield approach to see what happens
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am

You're going to code this in C++?
I was thinking of having a base ability class that would act as a parent to all the other abilties.
we can't just program stuff randomly, we have to stay in the framework of the engine.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 am

Well, I always have to stay in the framework of the engine. Otherwise it won't work. Very Happy
For a drop-able health pack we need some sort of Entity which will be spawned when the health pack is thrown (either like the grenade or like a weapon). This entity will either keep track of all troopers in it's trigger-box and heal them slowly or it just heals the first guy walking into the trigger by 100 health or so.
I think we will have to create a new class in C++ for the weapon which spawns the Entity. At least I didn't see anything in the standard weapons/grenades which hinted that I can spawn something which won't explode on impact or after some delay. => C++, XML (and maybe Lua).

For something like a Bacta injector we could just do a weapon with a 10 bullet burst fire mode. Every bullet would add 10 health or so. The range would be something like 1.5 meters. => No C++, just XML (and maybe Lua).

For a Left4Dead style pack I don't know exactly. I suppose something like firing a ray into aim direction, if the ray hits a trooper send a network event which freezes his input (dunno if I can freeze only movement), then heal him over 2 seconds, then send another event which will unfreeze his input. => XML and Lua.

I'm with Ben on testing the Battlefield health pack first, droids can't be placed every 20 meters all over the map. I think they should be placed at important places only (for example if we want to make it very hard for one team to capture a CP we place the droids where only the defenders can access them). The drop-able packs would heal/replenish a lot slower than the droids and wouldn't replenish special things (like recon droids maybe), only normal ammo.

And another thing about the classes. rocknroll posted about First Strike, the Star Wars mod for BF 2142. I checked out their classes on the First Strike Wiki.
They have:
Spoiler:

What I like of those classes is that everyone has access to a automatic blaster rifle. These can be switched out if you need to adapt your class to a different situation (for example tunnels vs outside battle on hoth). I watched a bit of gameplay, what I noticed is that not a lot of people use the rocket launcher, they use mostly EMPs and other vehicles against enemy vehicles. And mines, loads of mines. As far as I could see the deployable droids weren't used a lot. The deployable shields were used all the time. I watched a ~50 player match in a forest, they fought in some sort of valley and every team had built a wall of shields on their side.

The original BF 2142 classes were:
Spoiler:

I just reworked some of the stuff from First Strike into the classes I posted before:
  • Medic:
    Strong but only short - med range blasters, focuses on anti infantry, grenades and medpack
  • Scout:
    Short range carbine or sniper rifle, timed explosives, motion sensors, binoculars. some sort of support role, too. Used for hit and run on infantry and vehicles (explosives).
  • Support:
    Repeating blaster (LMG), not a lot of damage but a lot of ammo and high rate of fire OR semi automatic heavier blaster. Ammo pack.
  • Anti-Tank:
    medium range blaster rifle, anti vehicle rocket launcher OR heavy ion blaster to disable vehicles tepmorarily, anti vehicle mines (1 or 2 sec arm time so you could disable the vehicle, then run up to it, place the mine and run away again, then BOOM).
  • Engineer/Pilot:
    close range blaster carbine, fusion cutter, remote anti vehicle explosives.

Thinking about models, for the Empire:
Medic: Stormtrooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth)
Scout: Scout trooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth) maybe without backpack or with those goggles this guy wears.
Support: Shocktrooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth), maybe with special backpack?
Anti Tank: ? / Snowtrooper(Hoth), again different backpack maybe?
Pilot: Imperial Pilot

for the Allliance:
Medic: Default rebel trooper / Rebel Snow trooper(Hoth)
Scout: Rebel trooper without backpack? / Rebel Snow trooper(Hoth) without backpack?
Support: ?
Anti Tank: ?
Pilot: Rebel pilot (orange suit)

For maps inside something (Death Star, Cloud City) we could mix in some Tantive IV troopers for the rebels but they don't really fit into Hoth. Unless we only use the helmets...
Back to top Go down
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 6:32 am

Schlechtwetterfront wrote:

Thinking about models, for the Empire:
Medic: Stormtrooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth)
Scout: Scout trooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth) maybe without backpack or with those goggles this guy wears.
Support: Shocktrooper / Snowtrooper(Hoth), maybe with special backpack?
Anti Tank: ? / Snowtrooper(Hoth), again different backpack maybe?
Pilot: Imperial Pilot

for the Allliance:
Medic: Default rebel trooper / Rebel Snow trooper(Hoth)
Scout: Rebel trooper without backpack? / Rebel Snow trooper(Hoth) without backpack?
Support: ?
Anti Tank: ?
Pilot: Rebel pilot (orange suit)

For maps inside something (Death Star, Cloud City) we could mix in some Tantive IV troopers for the rebels but they don't really fit into Hoth. Unless we only use the helmets...

Support: / Rebel Snow Trooper with Hood
Anti Tank: / Rebel Snow Trooper with Mask and Backpack
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Well, one of my class ideas was an engie that drops a droid that gives out ammo and HP. like TF2 Engineer.
I still need to post the classes. I'm in the process of defining what exactly my suggested abilities do.
Back to top Go down
Lephenix
Polygon Smith
Lephenix

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 am

Why not, maybe the engineer could drop the plans of the droid and then with a fusion cutter build it Cool .
Back to top Go down
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/forum
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

Lephenix wrote:
Why not, maybe the engineer could drop the plans of the droid and then with a fusion cutter build it Cool .

that sounds much better, the same could go for deployable turrets if you guys want those
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am

That's a pretty cool idea. A hologram or something more 'techy' would work better than plans I think.
Back to top Go down
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 am

Like a hologram of the object to be built would work fine I think
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Lephenix wrote:
I don't think a lot of weapon customization is a good idea right now. We can't use that much time on just a few small things.
Until we have every (base) class done with one set of weapons we shouldn't really do any customization. But we can talk about it. Very Happy

Classes I just made up right now (without weapons, just roles):

Medic: either area med pack like in the Battlefield games OR med pack for one guy like in Battlefront games OR Bacta injector => some sort of gun/syringe.

Support: Ammo pack. Here I'd go for area. He places the pack somewhere (maybe even some sort of station) where other troopers can regenerate their ammo from.

Pilot: Repair vehicles and maybe an explosive which does a lot of damage to enemy vehicles if you get close enough (think Luke vs AT-AT in Empire Strikes Back).

Anti Tank: Very heavy rocket launcher which doesn't have a lot of explosive radius (maybe 1.5 m) but does a lot of damage. The rocket should be somewhat slow and not perfectly accurate so it's not that easy to hit infantry with. Plus maybe mines against vehicles (and Infantry?).

Scout: Light weight trooper with maybe binoculars (used for spotting?) and some sort of motion sensor (droid).

That would be the base classes. Every faction would get some special classes (maybe changing on different maps?).

Now, TALK! Wink

I prefer this Cool .

I also agree with this. Killzone 3 has a class system like this, in more ways than one. The medics, with the silent footsteps bonus and the max rifle, could double as stealthy foot soldiers. Similarly, the engineer could also be a room clearing badass with an LMG and max ammo. I think having a similar system with one or two bonus classes for each faction would work well, although the bonus classes will be harder to include considering how finely balanced everything is.

Also, I am totally agreeing with appearance customization. There should be both genders (at least for humans) and more than one non-human race, at least in an ideal scenario.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Female troopers would require a completely new set of animations. At least for now thats not feasible for us. Non humans are no problem as long as their skeleton resembles a human skeleton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 2:36 am

Female troopers would require a completely new set of animations. At least for now thats not feasible for us. Non humans are no problem as long as their skeleton resembles a human skeleton.

Not necessarily. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6073-Lets-End-the-FPS-Sausage-fest there is an interview that talks about stuff like this in the video and how really, it doesn't have to be that complicated. I'm not saying we need to do it for the alpha, but female members of the alliance were very prominent, and there were a few female Imperial officers, two of which could be used as heroes in space. Some females could also have similar builds to the men, and thus still use the same animations.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 3:37 am

Ok. I'd say we put that on our maybe to do list. If it works and looks OK with the animations/skeleton we have (just because female bodies work with their skeleton doesn't mean it will work with the SDK skeleton) we can take a look at that some time next year or so.
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 3:47 am

Tip: Leave females for later now. We don't want to end up with crappy move anims like ME3, ok?
You may not notice, but woman (even when running around shooting people), move differently.
FYI, the original (rebel) sniper in SWBF2 was a girl.

EDIT: Ok boyos, I've dropped my class ideas doc into a folder in Dropbox: Class Concepts\SWBFCE3 Class Compare.xlsx
Comment. if you want, append to the excel file, (dont overwrite though, Razz)
Back to top Go down
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 am

I'd like to toss in my two cents for classes and equipment here:

The classes have a primary and secondary weapon slot, and 2 equipment slots. You can only carry one of the listed items in each slot.

Primary weapon selection should be diverse enough to allow players to select weapons appropriate for the map and situation (A Sniper on Hoth's open snow fields can't function the same in the cramped hallways on the Tantive IV)

TROOPER
Primary: Rifles/Carbines
Secondary: Pistols
Equipment 1: Thermal Detonator/EMP Grenade/Smoke Grenade/Concussion Grenade/Stun Grenade
Equipment 2: Same options as First slot
Armor: Average
Sprint: Average
Bonus: Defense increase when near other Troopers, Increased Points/XP from assists (encourages players to work together in small groups)

ANTI-ARMOR
Primary: Rocket Launchers/Grenade Launchers
Equipment 1: Concussion Grenade/EMP Grenade
Equipment 2: AT Mine/EMP Mine
Armor: Heavy
Sprint: Low
Bonus: Damage increase when manning vehicle/turret weapons

MEDIC:
Primary: Carbines
Equipment 1: Bacta Pack/Stim Pack
Equipment 2: Defibrillator (if revive mechanic exists)/Bacta Grenade/Dampener Aerosol/Bacta Dispenser/Deployable Energy Shield
Armor: Low
Sprint: High
Bonus: Slowly regenerates health (Dissuades players from wasting kits on themselves)

ENGINEER:
Primary: Shotguns/Arc Caster/Heavy Pistols
Secondary: Fusion Cutter
Equipment 1: AP Mine/EMP Grenade
Equipment 2: Sentry Droid/Deployable AP Turret/Deployable AT/AA Turret
Bonus: Auto-repairs vehicles he is riding in.

RECON:
Primary: Sniper Rifles/Scoped Carbines
Equipment 1: Smoke Grenade/Stun Grenade/EMP Grenade/Dampener Aerosol
Equipment 2: Motion Detector/Macrobinoculars/Tracking Device/Personal Stealth Field/Jamming Device/Recon Droid/Grappling Hook or Ascension Gun
Bonus: Detects enemy troops faster than other classes.

SUPPORT:
Primary: Heavy Repeaters/Flamethrower/Miniguns
Equipment 1: Ammunition Pack/Grenade Pack/Equipment Pack
Equipment 2: Personal Energy Shield/Thermal Detonator/EMP Grenade/Deployable Energy Shield
Armor: High
Sprint: Low
Bonus: Higher Equipment capacity than other classes

COMMANDO:
Primary: Shotguns/Carbines
Secondary: Pistol
Equipment 1: Personal Stealth Field/Dampener Aerosol/Personal Energy Shield
Equipment 2: Detpack/Buzz Droid/Grappling Hook or Ascension Gun/Trip Mine
Armor: Moderate
Bonus: Faster Stamina regeneration

Equipment Specs:

EMP Devices: Causes little physical damage, but will temporarily disable vehicles, equipment, weapon sights, and HUDs of those caught in the blast.

Dampener Aerosols: Generates a cloud of particles that disperse blaster fire. Causes reduced laser damage to anybody under the cloud.

Personal Energy Shield: Emits a protective barrier around the individual, protecting them from blaster fire. The shield's power drains quickly, and can be rapidly depleted under sustained fire.

Deployable Energy Shield:Unlike the personal shield, this one must be planted on the ground. It emits a protective bubble large enough for several individuals to hide under. It is more durable than the personal shield, but won't hold under heavy fire.

Bacta Pack: When held, the bacta pack will slowly heal nearby teammates. The pack can also be dropped to instantly restore a large portion of health.

Stim Pack: Similar to the Bacta Pack, only instead of healing, this device strengthens the user's defense, and increases the speed that they recharge stamina.

Ammo Pack: Just like the Bacta and Stim Packs, this restores ammunition when held near friendlies. It can be dropped to instantly refill ammo.

Grenade Pack: This pack refills the grenades of friendlies in a similar fashion to the Ammo Pack

Equipment Pack: This pack refills deployables and special equipment of friendlies in a similar fashion to the Ammo pack.

Bacta Grenade: A thrown device that dispenses a cloud of bacta. Any friendlies near the cloud will slowly regain health. Useful for when a medic cannot reach a wounded soldier, or when traversing open terrain is too dangerous.

Bacta Dispenser: A stationary deployable device that slowly heals nearby soldiers. Not as effective as a Med Droid or Bacta pack.

Sentry Droid: A small, automated sentry droid that will attack nearby enemies.

Deployable AP/AT Turrets: These deployable turrets must be manned by a player, and are much more powerful than the Sentry Droid. AP turrets fire heavy lasers, while AT/AA turrets use lock-on capable rockets. The guns have limited ammunition, and can be restocked by the Support class.

Motion Detector: This device will constantly scan the area around it and will reveal any enemy movement on friendly player's HUDs, even those under the effects of Stealth Fields. The device can be bypassed by moving slowly enough.

Macrobinoculars: These devices are used to spot enemy units. Any enemy soldier or vehicle spotted will have their last location become visible on all friendly player's HUDs.

Tracking Device: This thrown device will attach itself to enemy vehicles and constantly emit their location to friendly player's HUDs. Anti-Armor players can lock-on to the device with their rocket launchers, causing their projectiles to home in on the vehicle.

Personal Stealth Field:This device will render a unit temporarily (almost) invisible to enemy soldiers. Alerting a motion sensor, or attacking will reveal your location on enemy HUDs. The device's energy drains rapidly and is best use for evading enemies when spotted, or sneaking up to sabotage devices. Movement will distort the light around a cloaked character, so they can still be seen by the careful observer.

Jamming Device: This deployable device will distort and scramble the mini-maps of nearby enemy troops, showing false blips and incorrect friendly locations.

Recon Droid: This small remote can quickly navigate the battlefield. It has no weapons, but it can spot enemies just like Macrobinoculars, and can self-destruct when in danger.

Buzz Droid: A controllable, fast-moving droid that can sprint, jump, climb walls, and roll into a ball for rapid movement. It can attach itself to enemy vehicles and soldiers by leaping at them. Once attached it will continuously damage them unless destroyed or removed by an Engineer.

Grappling Hook/Ascension Gun: A thrown or shot device that deploys a magnet/hook attached to a line to elevated areas, allowing players to climb over walls, or to move to otherwise unreachable areas
Back to top Go down
Ben2356

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 am

I really like this class and loadout setup!
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 am

Hmm, I like these ideas. Pretty to similar to what I came up with as well. You guys seen the Excel doc I had put in the Dropbox? Don't know if its in Megacloud now.
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 am

Edited your class layout with some ideas I already posted and some new ones.
Some general things:
- Explosives do more damage to vehicles if the vehicle is disabled from EMP/Ion. Because their armor or countermeasures are disabled, or something like that.
- CE automatically adjusts movement speed depending on the weight of the currently equipped weapon, so if at all very slight changes in movement speed should do.
- I just replaced Armor with Health.
- I cut down a bit on possible EMPs, vehicles should still be a serious threat. And I propose that EMPs don't affect AT-AT and other very large vehicles at all. Maybe if you hit a special spot, but otherwise not. Spaceships should be affected. They'll be hard to hit anyways from the ground so it should matter if you hit em.
- No stamina. I hate stamina. Especially if the maps are large (which is the goal) just being able to run for 5 seconds is not positive for gameplay.
- I killed the commando class. Didn't really see the point in that one.
- Removed the boni because I don't like them. Especially the 'auras' don't really fit a Star Wars game. IMO of course. The vehicle repair of the Engie is OK tho. If we'd force the Medic to have the Bacta pack which heals when holding it in his hands he wouldn't need his bonus either.
- I condensed it a bit. Mostly I cut out things which I didn't think would be that interesting gameplay-wise + not that important for a first draft of the game. Like the aerosol. Doesn't mean it won't make it into the game though.

TROOPER
Primary: Rifle | Carbine
Special 1: Thermal Det | Ion/EMP Grenade | Smoke || Grenade Launcher (Launch E2 grenades?)
Special 2: Thermal Det | Ion/EMP Grenade | Smoke || Anti Infantry Mine
Health: 110 - 120

Stun doesn't sound like a good idea to me. How would Concussion work gameplay-wise?

ANTI-ARMOR
Primary: Carbine
Secondary: Rocket Launcher | Ion Gun (| Grenade Launcher)
Special 1: Remote explosives
Special 2: AT-Mine
Health: 120

Option 2:
Special 1: Rocket Launcher | Ion Gun (| Grenade Launcher)
Special 2: AT-Mine | Remote explosives

Ion Gun: Like EMP, disables machines.

Just a rocket launcher + pistol is too weak against infantry. Unless the rocket launcher is overpowered (like in SWBF). The rocketlauncher should be mainly used against vehicles => ANTI-ARMOR needs something against infantry.

MEDIC
Special 1: Bacta Pack (| Bacta Injector)
Special 2: Deployable Energy Shield (| Defibrillator)
Health: 90

Bacta Pack: Slowly heals close allies when held in hand, can be deployed (like your Bacta Dispenser) to heal quicker but then it's destroyable by enemies and it takes time to be replenished.

Bacta Injector: Heals a lot faster but only one person, multiple charges. This would maybe be bad for teamplay because Medics might only heal themselves quickly?

ENGINEER
Primary: Blaster Cannon (| Arc Caster)
Secondary: Fusion Cutter
Special 1: Timed explosive
Special 2: Sentry Droid
Health: 90

Wouldn't potent AV/AA turrets be too large for one man to carry? Maybe something like a beacon where a turret will be dropped by a transporter?

RECON => Scout?
Primary: Sniper rifle | Carbine (scoped an alternative?)
Special 1: Macrobinoculars | Motion Detector (| Recon visor? | Personal Stealth Field)
Special 2: Jamming Device | Tracking Device | Timed Mini-Explosive
Health: 85

Stealth field: Note that we can't change any shaders, so we can only use the Crysis invisibility shader (which I hope is still included with the SDK). So if the Crysis shader doesn't have any light bending we can't have any either.
Recon visor: Not an actual item but a different visor which auto detects enemies if they're close, or close to the middle of the screen, or something.
Mini-explosive: Similar to Engineer's Timed explosive but deals less damage but has a shorter time until detonation (maybe 2-3 seconds for this, 4-6 for the other one?). => Better for damaging vehicles because EMPs don't hold that long?
I'm not sure about the grappling hook. Might be cool, or might be so difficult to get working correctly without giving recons a really large advantage and prevent them from exploiting bugs on our maps that it's not worth it. So, I'd say we can get back to that when we've got most of the other features working.

SUPPORT
Primary: Repeater
Special 1: Ammo Pack | Anti Infantry Mine
Special 2: Deployable Energy Shield | Anti Infantry Mine
Health: 105

What's an equipment pack? And I'd just merge Ammo and Grenade packs.

You said that rocket launchers could lock on to vehicles if they have a tracking device stuck to them. The chance that someone'll hit a jet with the tracking device is rather low, how would infantry VS air work in your opinion? I think BF2142 had that tracker, too, right? Can you remember how they handled that?
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 am

IMO the tracking device is just added on extras for the sake of an ability.
Does it add a lot to the gameplay? Not really. Why does the Heavy need another class to kill a vehicle?
Lorewise it doesn't even make sense. If they don't have rocket launchers in the far future that can't target a vehicle...

Not dissing, as the rest of the ideas are pretty good.

Guys, it seems as if most of us are converging towards similar roles in the classes and abilities (though some are slightly different in implementation, the core idea is the same.)

I was thinking we should have a core Gameplay Design team who come up with these and think about them.
I was thinking of Ande\Schlechtwetterfront, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, and myself, since we've all put substantial thought into class mechanics.
Not saying that we'll shut ourselves off from the rest of team and not take feedback, but that'll we'll be responsible for taking feedback, tweaking class ideas and thinking about how to balance stuff.
Be prepared for a lot of changes. Balancing is one of the hardest parts of any game (StarCraft took about 10 years), and it is essential. Mine, your ideas will be broken down, reprocessed and rebuilt.
In the end, the most important thing is gameplay testing. Something may sound good on paper, but suck in game and vice versa.
Using TF2 (again), its classes are very evenly balanced even though they may not seem so at first. They all have a role.

IMO, classes (i.e gameplay), will make or break (really badly) this game.

Btw, the GDD is coming along and there's a section there with the classes which I've based on my ideas (since I know them best). I've also used your ideas to fill in where mine sucked\failed. But they are more for a guideline, and I will update when stuff changes.

I'm of the personal idea that their should be 'tiers' and unlockables (in-game, reset at each match), like in SWBF2. Currently the GDD reflects this, but its more of an idea than what will be done.
As I said, classes will probably keep changing until the very end. They may even change after the Alpha if users say this sucks or not.

Back to regarding the testing, we need to start implementing some stuff in code soon so we can start to prototype and test.
Usually in gamedev, codebase\gameplay systems first, but we seem to have started from the back, heh.

Sorry if this sounded like a 'boss' speech, but some organization is needed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gen_Rhys_Dallows

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 am

Quote :
How would Concussion work gameplay-wise?
I had the Battlefront 1 Concussion Grenades in mind. They stick to vehicles and cause extra damage, but aren't very useful against troops.

Quote :
You said that rocket launchers could lock on to vehicles if they have a tracking device stuck to them. I think BF2142 had that tracker, too, right? Can you remember how they handled that?
It was in one of the Bad Company games, and if I remember right it allowed players to drop airstrikes on vehicles. If rocket-homing won't work I guess it could allow for smaller orbital strikes, or just stick to highlighting the vehicle on HUDs.

I had hoped to give incentive for recon players to work in cohesion with the other classes, instead of just hiding in a tower somewhere and getting nothing done. Maybe Anti-Tank players would get extra points for destroying a tagged vehicle?

Quote :
The chance that someone'll hit a jet with the tracking device is rather low, how would infantry VS air work in your opinion?
Perhaps there could be dedicated AA missile launchers for the Anti-Tank class with very good homing abilities.

Last edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Class System   Class System - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Class System
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next