Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Skinning and animating

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Skinning and animating   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 pm

I'd like to go a bit further in the animation process here but here is some question I asked myself :

How do we organize this ? Should we get what's done in this section and start skinning them, or is there a specific section where it is indicated what can be skinned ?
I tried, for example, some skinning on the 'biker boy' (imperial scout) but I didn't get so far because I don't know if it's the final version and then if my work would be useful.

On which software are we doing it ? 3Ds Max, Maya, both ? Can we share settings between us even if we use different software (for example, if I do a skinning in 3ds, could it be used in Maya) ?
Personally, I prefer to do the skinning and the animation on Maya which is more accurate, but it seems that we get less issues with the 3ds crytek plugin.

Are we using the same skinning/skeleton on every character ? Or do we have to do a skin/bones system for each one (which I think is the best option but will take some time) ? If we don't, does it mean we have to make a personal animation on each character or could we use those made for the other characters ?
Back to top Go down
Schlechtwetterfront

PostSubject: Re: Skinning and animating   Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:03 am

All of the humanoid ~2m characters should use the same skeleton and animations. If you look at any other shooters you can see they only have one skeleton (which maybe gets a bit deformed occasionally for smaller/bigger characters).
Characters like droids or wookiees might need special skeletons/animations.

Terry is using Maya and he is in charge of the skeleton for humanoid third person animations. So you can use Maya.
Javid created a rig for the first person arms, I think he's using Max. Jon is using Max, too, IIRC. So maybe Jon and Javid take care of the first person animations and you and Terry the third person animations?

I'd call the rebel pilot and imperial snowtrooper finished. I might need to rebake some parts of the Scout because there are really visible seams.

And a note on exporting, export the legs, torso and (if the character has one) the face separately so we have the possibility to switch out faces later and have the legs visible in first person. You can add all the separate parts together in the .cdf then as skin attachments which can be controlled via C++.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/

PostSubject: Re: Skinning and animating   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 am

Sounds cool, though I hope it's a max biped lol. Very Happy

I'll be attempting to weight my stormtrooper in 3ds Max by importing Terry's Maya skeleton, once there's a few animations done in-game from Maya so I can make sure it will animate properly. In theory, it should work out fine. If it works, then animations will also work from 3ds Max. If not, then someone else will need to weight my stormtrooper in Maya.

Wookies shouldn't need custom skeletons of their own, just scale the model larger ingame. Wink
Back to top Go down
Terach

PostSubject: Re: Skinning and animating   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 am

I'll have a few placeholder animations done over the weekend so you guys can test the 3ds exporting compatibility.

@BwNoein You don't need to worry about skinning other characters yet. For now you can just use the temporary rig on Megacloud to do any third person animations. Once all the third person animation is done, then we can start skinning other characters. It's a lot more efficient to have shared animations than to make a new system for each character. I forgot but did you manage to export character/animations into cryengine yet? I think that once everyone gets past this stage, we can start organizing a pipeline so that we can share our assets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skinning and animating   

Back to top Go down

Skinning and animating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: BattleCry :: Development :: Development discussion :: Animation-
Jump to: