Star Wars: BattleCry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Star Wars: BattleCry

Development forum for Star Wars: BattleCry

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vehiclesss

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Schlechtwetterfront

Schlechtwetterfront

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Sceluk, I saw you posted a working VTOL on CryDev some time ago, you mind sharing (mostly for the Snowspeeder but possibly other vehicles in the future, too)?
Adame wanted to create the Snowspeeder some time ago because he has experience with Star Wars aircraft but it was rumored that the VTOL code doesn't exist in the freeSDK (which you have proven wrong).
Would be nice if you could upload it to the MegaCloud somewhere.

Next point: First person (cockpit) views for vehicles. There's no builtin 'model changer' for vehicles if you want to go into FP mode.
We either have to write our own or (like it's currently being done in the freeSDK vehicles) just model the cockpit into the TP/world models of the vehicles and move the camera there.

Pros (roll our own):
- better performance.

Pros (use current system):
- worse performance because you can't see most of the details from the outside (cockpits would be about 10k tris +).
- No extra code.
- The plan is to put in a cockpit which you can see through the glass anyways.

A possible solution to the performance hit of option 2 would be to have LOD 1 (which is basically the same model just with a severly reduced cockpit) kick in at maybe 3 meters or so from the cockpit. I dunno if/how you can change the LOD settings though (and if the are changeable individually for characters/vehicles etc).

I'd say the second option would be better but I'd like to hear your input on this.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/
sceluk
void Work();

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Hmm, I am not sure if I understand correctly.
AFAIK, the engine supports third and 1st person view.
I did manage to switch between 1st and 3rd person using the default VTOL.
Well, isnt that how its done in CryEngine? The 1st person cockpit is part of the model, like in the Heli and all the other stuff.

Anyways, I was still planning on re writing parts of the VTOL code to make them more realistic for spaceships.
And handle differently if youre in space.
Back to top Go down
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 am

I see it as like the exterior gets hidden if its not visible from the cockpit for those who are in the vehicle in 1st person mode and when in 3rd person mode a new interior is pawned where the actual interior is but much lower quality so it doesn't take much resources but the exterior is shown fully.
Otherwise if parts of the vehicle are visible only they are shown, the rest is hidden for 1st person cockpit.

About the VTOL code, it will be nice to have at least working code until you can work more on it so we can play with it in the meantime or maybe even update it.

I was thinking in space that we actually enable zero gravity for outside the ships and simulate actual space but not sure how it will work with CE3. I think it might turn out to be easier and get some nice effects
Back to top Go down
sceluk
void Work();

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 am

As I said in Skype (this is for others benefit). If you're close enough that the high detail LOD is enabled, chances are there's not much else on the screen, so there wont be too much to draw anyways.
I will upload VTOL as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
SharkYbg
Polygon Smith

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Great work there on the vtol. I managed to get it working in the cryengine and its flying.
Only problem I have is with the entering dummies. It's like they are not registering.

Also i noticed in the code that there's way to hide parts. This is a seat action and is activated when the person is in FirstPerson view(I think  either way it's when you are in the vehicle no matter the view). I am yet to test it out. ;P

PS: The weapons that come by default doesn't work with the vtol actionMap in 3.4.5 version of cryengine so we need to write them ourselves. In the new engine that came out its not working but that is to be seen when the source code is released with some new assets ;P.

PS2: Nevermind on the weapons not working. I didn't notice that there aren't any controls for firing on the vtol. Just had to add them ;D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vehiclesss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehiclesss   Vehiclesss Empty

Back to top Go down

Vehiclesss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: BattleCry :: Development :: Development discussion :: Coding-
Jump to: